With temperatures finally beginning to cool down, dinner table dishes are about to start getting a lot heartier. This dish of Ginger Soy Chicken Meatballs with Chinese Broccoli is the perfect mix of hearty and healthy.
The broth is full of flavor, just like the meatballs and the Chinese broccoli. I like it spicy so feel free to edit the spices out of your preparation.
- 1/2 piece of ginger, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 scallions, sliced and divided into light and dark
- 12 oz. Chinese broccoli, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 oz. ground chicken
- 1 TBSP chili oil
- 2 TBSP soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine ginger, garlic, light scallion slices, chicken and soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix ingredients by hand until well combined, then form into roughly 10 one-inch balls. (Side note: Make sure you wash your hands after this step — we all know how nasty raw chicken is.)
- Heat the chili oil in a large pan over medium heat. When oil is shimmering, add the meatballs and cook until they’re browned on all sides (roughly 8-10 minutes).
- Transfer meatballs to a plate.
- Add Chinese broccoli to pan along with crushed red pepper. Saute broccoli four minutes over medium heat until it’s bright green.
- Add chicken stock and coconut milk to pan and stir to combine, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan.
- Add meatballs, increase heat to high, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer everything for 5-8 minutes.
- Taste broth and add salt and pepper, if needed.
- Divide broth, meatballs and Chinese broccoli between two bowls. Garnish with dark scallions and serve.
The meatballs will hit you with a nice bit of ginger and soy and the broth should hit you with a nice heat from the chili oil.
Plus, the Chinese broccoli adds a nice crunch to the dish so you’ve just about got it all in one dish.
This recipe was adapted from Plated.com.