Tofu-touille is a take on the French vegetable dish ratatouille. This is a great way to add some extra protein to ratatouille without sacrificing calories. If you’re wary to try tofu A) you shouldn’t be and B) you can omit without changing up the dish too much.
This makes a great casserole for Fall that’s loaded with nutrients and low on calories.
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 block firm tofu, drained and dried
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup oyster mushrooms
- 1 cup button mushrooms
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced into rings
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat bottom and sides of a 2 quart Dutch oven with olive oil.
- Saute garlic until lightly browned, mix in parsley and eggplant. Saute until eggplant is soft, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread eggplant mixture evenly across bottom of the Dutch oven. Sprinkle with some mozzarella cheese. Spread zucchini in an even layer over top. Lightly season and sprinkle with more cheese. Continue layering in the order of your choice with onion, mushrooms and bell pepper. Cover each layer with seasoning and cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes and serve.
This is a delicious one-pot wonder that can serve as an entree or a side dish. You can also add in any vegetables of your choice making this version of ratatouille a truly versatile vegetarian dish.
Photos courtesy of Miguel Solorzano Photography.