This recipe for Butternut Squash, Chicken and Quinoa Stew combines three of my favorite ingredients: Fall/Winter favorite butternut squash, chicken thighs and superfood quinoa.
This stew is full of flavor, nutrients and warmth. It’s a hearty stew perfect for cold weather and serving family style.
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 6 chicken thigh filets
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 1/2 TBSP chili flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, steam the butternut squash until barely tender (about 10-12 minutes). Remove half of the squash pieces and set aside in a large bowl.
- Steam the remaining squash an additional 4-6 minutes. Mash this squash with a fork or potato masher then add to non-mashed squash in the bowl.
- In a large Dutch oven (or saucepan), over medium-high heat, bring the chicken broth, some salt and pepper and chili flakes to a simmer.
- Add the chicken thighs, cover and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 12-15 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken thighs to a cutting board and let cool. Pour broth into a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the olive oil to the Dutch oven and return to the stove, reducing heat to medium.
- Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is starting to turn brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional minutes, still stirring.
- To the Dutch oven, add the tomatoes and all the butternut squash. Stir to combine.
- Stir in reserved chicken broth and quinoa (make sure you’ve rinsed it). Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until the quinoa turns translucent, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shred the chicken with a knife and fork on the cutting board.
- Stir the chicken into the stew and simmer, uncovered, to heat, about 5 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Stir in cilantro and serve.
Some of you smartypants may notice parsley is pictured in the dish in the photos I have. You’re correct, but honestly, I didn’t like the parsley in this dish so I replaced mine with cilantro and it was much much better.
This Butternut Squash, Chicken and Quinoa stew is the perfect meal for all those cold nights quickly approaching. Enjoy it with a nice glass of wine and some freshly baked bread.