If you’re looking for a soup recipe that has a nice kick, this Curried Cauliflower Soup is the perfect find. It’s creamy and light with lots of flavor. Top it with toasted almonds for a nice crunch.
I would categorize this as a Fall or Summer soup since it’s light, but utilizes cauliflower. It has a frothy texture to it which keeps it nice and light.
- 3 1/2 cups 2% organic milk
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 cups cauliflower florets (about 1 pound)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F. In a medium bowl, toss almonds with 1 teaspoon milk and 1 teaspoon curry powder. Spread on to baking sheet and bake until toasted (6 to 8 minutes). Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1/2 cup milk in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add cauliflower, remaining curry powder and milk, cover and simmer until cauliflower is very tender (about 30 minutes).
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and additional curry powder (if necessary).
- Working in batches, puree in blender until smooth. Transfer to bowl and garnish with toasted almonds before serving.
This is a very healthy recipe that avoids the use of cream so it’s not loaded with fat. You can also substitute skim milk to eliminate even more calories and fat. Making the substitution won’t sacrifice any of the flavor.
The spicy kick of the curry goes really well with the creaminess of the cauliflower. Serve it as a side with dinner or as an appetizer.
Photos courtesy of Miguel Solorzano Photography.
One response to “Recipe: Curried Cauliflower Soup”