Biscuits from scratch can seem like a fairly daunting task. But don’t worry, this Bacon Cheddar Biscuit recipe is simple and you can go from step 1 to a finished batch in 45 minutes (cooking time included).
Rather than making plain biscuits, I added some bacon and cheddar to make this extra tasty. Feel free to add more cheese or more bacon if you so desire.
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 2 TBSP cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup milk (I used 2%)
- 1 TBSP salt
- 1 TBSP pepper
- 1/4 cup chives, minced
- 1 stick unsalted butter, frozen
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- In a cast iron skillet, fry bacon until just crispy. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel. Discard or reserve all of bacon grease except for 1 tablespoon and set the skillet aside.
- Whisk all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Use a grater to shred butter and toss in with dry ingredients. Using a fork, cut the butter into the flour until pea-sized crumbs form.
- Stir in the bacon, cheese, chives and milk. Using a fork, mix until no dry flour remains.
- Sprinkle some flour on a clean counter and dump the dough on it. Sprinkle some more flour on top and using your hands, pat the dough into a circle about 1/2- to 1-inch thick. Use a biscuit cutter or other round item (such as a jar or glass) to cut out biscuit shapes. Transfer cut dough to the skillet. Reform remaining dough and cut more biscuits until no dough remains.
- Bake the biscuits for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let biscuits cool for 5 minutes, then serve.
These biscuits go great with most meals. They’re especially an awesome way to make a breakfast biscuit sandwich.
No matter how you consume them, you can store them in a sealed container for several days. If you have any left over, that is.