Need a quick cake recipe that’s light on ingredients, but full of flavor? This recipe for Blackberry Buttermilk Cake is the answer to your prayers.
I’m a huge fan of fresh blackberries so this cake has a special spot in my heart. It’s super easy to make and takes 45 minutes from start to finish.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 TBSP unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/4 cup blackberries
- whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Grease a 9-inch round cake pan and line with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper as well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, mix together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla to butter-sugar mixture.
- In three batches, mix in the buttermilk and dry ingredients (ending with dry ingredients).
- Fold the batter until blended, scrape into the pan and smooth the top.
- Scatter the blackberries on the batter and lightly press them in. Sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes then turn out the cake and remove the paper.
- Turn the cake right side up to let cool.
- Serve with whipped cream and more blackberries.
You can always substitute in another fruit in place of the blackberries. I’m actually thinking of trying it with peaches or apples next.
This Blackberry Buttermilk Cake is a great cake that’s not too sweet and gets a nice taste of sour from the blackberries. I highly recommend serving it with the whipped cream.