Need a quick recipe for a busy weeknight? This recipe for Chickpea, Piquillo Pepper and Chicken Soup takes no time at all. The secret is using ingredients with lots of flavor, like hummus and piquillo peppers.
You’ll save a ton of time without sacrificing flavor. And it’s perfect for the upcoming (or already arrived) cold weather.
- 1 cup drained piquillo peppers, 1/4 cup cut into thin strips
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup cooked rice (white or brown)
- 3/4 cups hummus
- 2 TBSP cilantro
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- Olive oil, for serving
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a food processor, puree the whole piquillo peppers, hummus and chicken stock until smooth.
- Transfer the soup to a Dutch oven.
- Add the chicken, rice and hot sauce, season with salt and pepper, then bring to a boil.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with olive oil, cilantro, sliced piquillo peppers and more hot sauce (if desired).
Four pretty simple steps, right? It’s not a backbreaking recipe by any means and the flavors are awesome for such a quick recipe.
I had no problem finding jarred piquillo peppers at my local grocery store, but if you can’t find them, roasted red peppers are a suitable substitution.