With winter upon us, it’s time for citrus to take center stage as things like oranges, lemons and limes come into season. I was able to pick up some Meyer Lemons from Hollygrove Market and Farm in last weekend’s box.
So what did I do with them? I turned them into delicious Meyer Lemon Squares.
- Juice from 2 Meyer lemons
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 TBSP plus 1 tsp flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (plus more for dusting)
- 4 eggs
- 2 TBSP grated Meyer lemon peels
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour and 1/2 cup powdered sugar in large bowl.
- Add butter and cut in until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Press crust into a 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Bake until golden brown (about 25-30 minutes).
- Remove from oven, but leave oven on 350.
- Beat sugar, eggs, Meyer lemon juice, 1 TBSP plus 1 tsp flour and lemon peel in medium bowl to blend.
- Pour into crust then bake until mixture is set, about 20 minutes.
- Once set, remove from oven to let cool.
- Cut into 24 individual squares then sift powdered sugar over top before serving.
These Meyer Lemon Squares should bake to a nice, pillowy consistency. The great thing about using Meyer lemons is that they don’t end up too sour. You can use additional lemon peel in the mixture if you want them more sour.
Give these Meyer Lemon Squares a try at your next holiday function. They definitely deserve a place next to the pecan pie and the pumpkin pie.
November 21, 2012 at 3:06 pm
Reblogged this on The ObamaCrat.Com™ and commented:
Holiday YummY-ness from Po’ Boy Livin” Rich
November 21, 2012 at 6:32 pm
Reblogged this on 2012 Spirit In Action and commented:
Meyer Lemon trees are beautiful and so productive. They are easy to grow in pots for those who live in the colder regions, and here in Florida are one of the easiest, least demanding citrus to grow-they don’t take much space, look nice all the time and the lemons are sweeter and thinner skinned than the Persian Lemons you find in the grocery store.
November 22, 2012 at 3:49 pm
Surely the measurements are off? I am trying to make this now and you list sugar in the filling ingredients, but not on the recipe list (so no amount). I got a similar recipe and substituted.
November 22, 2012 at 3:51 pm
Thanks for pointing that out. I updated the ingredients. Happy Thanksgiving!
November 25, 2012 at 1:14 pm
Morning, you have been awarded the 2012 Blog Of The Year……
I do hope you accept awards, if not, nevermind!! 😉