Kale is a well-known super food. It’s also a very versatile ingredient in the kitchen. This recipe for Butternut Squash and Kale Salad combines two of my favorite ingredients to make a perfect salad.
This salad can be served hot, cold or at room temperature. Adding in toasted almonds gives it a nice crunch and a balsamic vinaigrette gives it a nice acidic kick.
- 8 TBSP olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- 1 bunch of kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1 1/2 cup butternut squash, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 3/4 cup almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk 5 TBSP olive oil, balsamic vinegar, shallot and hot sauce. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine squash and 2 TBSP oil, season with salt and pepper then toss to combine.
- Transfer squash to prepared baking sheet and roast, turning occasionally, for 20 minutes or until tender and lightly golden. Let cool slightly.
- While squash is roasting, heat remaining 1 TBSP of oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add kale and cook until bright green and slightly wilted (about 1 to 2 minutes).
- Remove from heat then add 4 TBSP dressing and toss to coat.
- Add squash and almonds to kale and toss well. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Divide the salad among bowls and drizzle with remaining dressing.
This Butternut Squash and Kale Salad is fresh, flavorful and full of antioxidants and other nutrients. It can be a main dish or a side dish.
The flavors in this dish pair well with a fish or chicken dish. It’s also perfect for vegetarians and vegans.