Lasagna is one of the best family-style meals out there. However, it’s loaded with carbs and calories so here’s a recipe that should cut down on both.
Instead of using pasta, thinly sliced eggplant serves as the layers. I also add some cauliflower to give this lasagna a little bit of a crunch.
- 6 TBSP Olive oil
- 3 TBSP Italian seasoning
- 1 cup cauliflower
- 1 hardboiled egg
- black pepper
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 red onion, minced
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 2 large eggplants, cut lengthwise into thin sheets
- 1 jar pasta sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, drained
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Mix the oil with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Then, brush eggplant sheets with oil and spices mixture.
- Lay the eggplant in a single layer on a baking sheet (you will have to do this more than once). Broil them 2 inches from the flame for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from home and turn to the other side brushing with the oil mixture and broiling for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Repeat until all of eggplant is broiled then set oven to 350F.
- In the meantime, saute ground turkey, cauliflower, garlic, shallots and red onion in a medium-sized pan. Cook until turkey meat is browned then add in chopped hardboiled egg.
- Once all ingredients are cooked, place one-third of the eggplant sheets in a wide, shallow 2- or 3-quart casserole dish.
- Layer with mozzarella, parmesan, ricotta, ground turkey mix and pasta sauce.
- Repeat the layering two additional times then top with mozzarella.
- Cover and bake for 20 to 25 minutes then serve.
This is recipe that will feed you and your family of 4 to 6. You won’t even notice that it’s not pasta, but eggplant that makes up most of the dish.
You can also substitute any ground meat of your choosing if you don’t want to use turkey. It may not be 100% authentic Italian, but it will do in a pinch and it’s sure to please most people’s palettes.
Photos courtesy of Miguel Solorzano Photography.
November 26, 2013 at 6:54 pm
Reblogged this on The ObamaCrat™.