No, it’s not chicken stuffed with Skittles. Bell peppers are the inspiration and filling in Rainbow-Stuffed Chicken. Bell peppers are awesome to cook with since they virtually come in all colors of the rainbow (except maybe blue).
I also add red onion (which is, let’s face it, really purple), mushrooms and cheese to the multicolor bell pepper blend. The whole blend is really versatile and can be used to complement any dish.
- 4 chicken breast, split or boneless
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cup button mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F and grease a large baking sheet or pan.
- In a large bowl, combine bell peppers, mushrooms, onion and cheese.
- Half the chicken breasts horizontally, but don’t cut all the way through, making a envelope for the bell pepper blend. Season chicken with salt and pepper or seasonings of your choice.
- Stuff the chicken breasts with bell pepper blend. And press down to seal in stuffing. You can also tie with twine if you have any handy.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until chicken temperature registers between 170F and 180F.
- Remove chicken from oven, let cool for a couple minutes, then serve.
Not only is this a colorful dish, it’s full of flavor and healthy nutrients from the veggies in the bell pepper blend. I don’t have a kid, but I imagine this is a fairly kid-friendly recipe.
Feel free to add any other veggies you have on hand to the bell pepper blend. If you have any of the bell pepper blend left over, it goes great with eggs to make a quiche or quick scramble.