In one year I’ve gone from never having tofu to eating it at least once a week. It’s so versatile and goes well with just about everything, but especially curry.
The tofu really takes on the flavors of the curry well. Pair the tofu with coconut curry and vegetables and you’ve got a quick meal of Tofu Coconut Curry that’s loaded with nutrients and low in fat and calories.
- 1 can reduced-fat coconut milk
- Juice of one lime
- 3 TBSP soy sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 TBSP curry powder
- 1 TBSP minced ginger
- 2 tsp chili paste
- 1 block extra firm tofu, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- salt to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, mix coconut milk, curry powder, soy sauce, brown sugar, chili paste and ginger.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add tofu, bell peppers, onion, mushrooms and tomato. Combine all ingredients, cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in basil. Season with salt or more soy sauce to taste.
- Continue cooking for an additional 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender, but crisp.
- Garnish with additional basil and serve over rice, if desired.
Make sure to thoroughly coat the tofu in the curry sauce. This recipe is quite spicy. My nose was running after eating it and my palate and body are quite accustomed to spicy food.
Also, the vegetables I used are just a guide. Feel free to experiment with a variety of veggies.
March 30, 2012 at 1:00 pm
I need some tofu recipes
March 30, 2012 at 1:04 pm
I love tofu! Hadn’t tried it until this year, but now I’m a fan.
The Glow Remedy
March 30, 2012 at 4:31 pm
This looks so good! I love tofu, just not when I prepare it! I will have to give this one a try. 🙂
April 4, 2012 at 6:23 am
This looks awesome! Always wanted to try Tofu and think this might just be the recipe i need for my first usage! lol