My mom told me I “had to” try this recipe for Blueberry Crunch because it was “too die for.” She got it from a friend and tried it for the first time last weekend. Basically, crushed pineapple, fresh blueberries, yellow cake mix, pecans, sugar and butter are layered then baked to perfection.
When I got an invitation for dinner from a friend and she asked me to make dessert, I figured it was time to give Blueberry Crunch a try. However, she asked for a healthy dessert and this definitely does not fit the bill. So I ignored her, and it was a hit.
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 8-oz. cans of crushed pineapple (with juice)
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar (divided into 3/4 cup and 1/4 cup)
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a 9×13 pan, layer pineapple, blueberries, 3/4 cup sugar, and cake mix.
- Spread pecans over top then drizzle with melted butter.
- Sprinkle remaining sugar (1/4 cup) on top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until browned and bubbly.
- Let cool slightly (for about 5 minutes), serve and top with whipped cream or ice cream (if desired).
When I make it again, I’ll probably omit the 1/4 cup of sugar on top, but one of my friends said that was her favorite part. I think it could stand to be just a tad less sweet.
All in all, it’s an easy dish with lots of flavor. It’s got a nice crunch, hence the name Blueberry Crunch, and is buttery, sweet and rich.