Cold temps may be on the way out (fingers crossed), but there’s still time to make chili. Using chicken thighs, I made this Spicy Chicken Chili.
This is a very simple dish to make that’s full of healthy ingredients. I used dark meat, but if you want it even healthier, you can use white mean. But I actually prefer dark meat for the flavor in slow-cooked dishes.
- 1 1/2 lb. of boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 6), cut into strips
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 TBSP white pepper
- 2 TBSP black pepper
- 3 TBSP chili powder
- 1 TBSP ground cumin
- 2 TBSP kosher salt
- 3 jalapeños (seed removed), chopped
- 1 can crushed tomatoes with their juice
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can pinto beans, drained
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
- Shredded cheese (optional)
- In a large pot or saucepan, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, or until they soften.
- Increase the heat to medium and add the chicken. Cook about two minutes until the strips are no longer pink.
- Stir in the salt, white pepper, chili powder and cumin.
- Add the jalapeños and the tomatoes with their juice.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and stir in the beans and black pepper. Simmer until the chili has thickened (about 15 minutes longer).
- Spoon chili into bowls and garnish with cilantro, sour cream and shredded cheese (if desired)
If the chili seems to spicy for you, remove a tablespoon of chili powder and take out a jalapeño or two. Also, if your chili is a little too thick, cut it with some chicken broth (or water if you don’t have chicken broth).
I served my Spicy Chicken Chili with Jalapeño and Cheddar Cornbread (cornbread I don’t share the recipe for). You can also sub in different kind of beans as you see fit. Chili is a really versatile dish so use your culinary imagination.
March 13, 2013 at 7:48 pm
Reblogged this on The ObamaCrat.Com™ and commented:
He’s back with a vengeance Ya’ll…..Thank you Po’ Boy Livin’ Rich.