Is there a better comfort food than a great grilled cheese sandwich? Maybe. I think fried chicken and macaroni and cheese come pretty close. During a recent football party, I put together a grilled cheese menu and this one, the Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich, was my favorite.
This grilled cheese uses Cheddar, cream cheese, jalapeño strips (all the ingredients in a jalapeño popper) and bacon. Why hasn’t anyone thought to add bacon to jalapeño poppers? That’s a mystery. Anyway, this is super easy to make and quick.
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and cut into strips
- 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 10-12 pieces of nice crusty bread, cut along the bias
- 4 TBSP cream cheese
- 4 TBSP salted butter, melted
- 1/2 pound sharp Cheddar cheese, sliced
- Preheat a panini press, griddle, grill or skillet.
- Spread cream cheese on one slice of bread.
- On another, place two slices of Cheddar cheese.
- Lay three or four jalapeño strips on the cream cheese side.
- Sprinkle bacon on top of cream cheese side.
- Place cheddar cheese side, cheese down on top of the cream cheese side.
- Brush melted butter on top of sandwich and place buttered side down on the panini press.
- Brush top side with melted butter.
- Shut panini press and grill four to five minutes or until Cheddar cheese is melted. Alternately, flip sandwich after two or three minutes if using a griddle, grill or skillet.
- Cut in half then serve.
You may think this Jalapeño Popper Grill Cheese Sandwich recipe is spicy, but to me, fresh jalapeños aren’t too spicy. Especially, when compared to pickled jalapeños. The peppers give the sandwich a nice crunch.
Be sure to pick a nice bread that won’t fall apart. I used a jalapeño-Cheddar bread from my local Whole Foods and it was perfect. Try this sandwich next time you need some good ‘ol fashioned comfort food.