With beach season quickly approaching, I’m all about healthy recipes right now. Here’s a great, healthy recipe for Black Bean-Turkey Burgers.
This recipe sacrifices the calories, but not the flavor which is ideal when trying to eat right.
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 can black beans (drained, rinsed and lightly mashed)
- 1/2 cup blue corn tortilla chips
- 1 egg
- 1 avocado
- 1 TBSP Tony Chachere’s (or seasoning mix of your choice)
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup salsa
- Set oven broiler on high.
- In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, beans, avocado, egg, tortilla chips and seasoning/spices. Mix with hands and form 6-8 equal-sized patties. Alternatively, you can mix everything by hand and use a biscuit cutter to form your patties.
- In an oven-safe skillet, pour in oil then place two patties in skillet. Broil for 5 minutes, flip and broil another 5 minutes. If you don’t have a broiler, this can be done on the stove burner on medium-high.
- Transfer the cooked patties to a paper towel-line plate to drain.
- Serve the burgers on a whole wheat bun and spoon salsa on top. Add cheese, lettuce and other toppings as you like.
I was able to get 8 servings out of this recipe. The burgers come out juicy and with a nice texture although they may break apart more than a typical hamburger.
Maybe more important than the healthiness of these Black Bean-Turkey Burgers is the fact they can be prepped in about 30 minutes. Also, if you have leftover patties, you can freeze them and serve them later.