With beach season quickly approaching, I’m all about healthy recipes right now. Here’s a great, healthy recipe for Black Bean-Turkey Burgers.
This recipe sacrifices the calories, but not the flavor which is ideal when trying to eat right.
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 can black beans (drained, rinsed and lightly mashed)
- 1/2 cup blue corn tortilla chips
- 1 egg
- 1 avocado
- 1 TBSP Tony Chachere’s (or seasoning mix of your choice)
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup salsa
- Set oven broiler on high.
- In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, beans, avocado, egg, tortilla chips and seasoning/spices. Mix with hands and form 6-8 equal-sized patties. Alternatively, you can mix everything by hand and use a biscuit cutter to form your patties.
- In an oven-safe skillet, pour in oil then place two patties in skillet. Broil for 5 minutes, flip and broil another 5 minutes. If you don’t have a broiler, this can be done on the stove burner on medium-high.
- Transfer the cooked patties to a paper towel-line plate to drain.
- Serve the burgers on a whole wheat bun and spoon salsa on top. Add cheese, lettuce and other toppings as you like.
I was able to get 8 servings out of this recipe. The burgers come out juicy and with a nice texture although they may break apart more than a typical hamburger.
Maybe more important than the healthiness of these Black Bean-Turkey Burgers is the fact they can be prepped in about 30 minutes. Also, if you have leftover patties, you can freeze them and serve them later.
April 25, 2012 at 12:33 pm
Reblogged this on The ObamaCrat.Com™ and commented:
I’m a meat eater, probably that is something that will never change, but for all my vegan/vegetarian folks..This recipe from “Po’ Boy Livin Rich” is very tasty.
April 26, 2012 at 6:42 pm
I usually have black bean burgers sans meat or poultry, but this sounds and looks yummy. Thanks!
April 27, 2012 at 11:00 pm
This look SO good! I think I’ll pin it to Pinterest to remind me to make it!