This recipe for Turkey and Quinoa Meatloaf is a great alternative to a ground beef recipe. You’ll cut calories and add texture and health benefits of the ingredient exchange.
The quinoa in this meatloaf really adds a nice, but subtle, crunch. And you won’t miss the ground beef once you’ve traded it out for ground turkey.
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1 package (at least 20 oz.) of ground turkey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 1 TBSP hot sauce
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 TBSP ketchup
- 2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 TBSP light brown sugar
- 1 tsp water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Bring the quinoa and 1/2 cup of water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion turns translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute; remove from heat to cool.
- Stir the ground turkey, cooked quinoa, onions, ketchup, hot sauce, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire, eggs, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until well combined. The mixture will be very moist.
- Shape into a loaf in a loaf pan.
- Combine the brown sugar, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire, and 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl. Rub the mixture over the top of the meatloaf.
- Transfer squash to prepared baking sheet and roast, turning occasionally, for 20 minutes or until tender and lightly golden. Let cool slightly.
- Bake until no longer pink in the center, about 50 minutes. Use a meat thermometer to assure the meatloaf has cooked to an internal temperature of at least 160F. Let the meatloaf cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
I’ll admit that this meatloaf doesn’t photograph well, but I can promise you it’s full of flavor. I served mine with some mashed new potatoes for a classic Americana pairing.
Feel free to play around with different spice blends if you want to give it an extra kick. Sometimes salt and pepper are all you need for seasoning, sometimes you want more. Either way, just about any spices will go well wit this Turkey and Quinoa Meatloaf.